An Apex Personal Development Mentor will work with each person and agree an action plan, reviewed at regular intervals, created together to address any barriers while building on the individual’s strengths and skills. We will support each person to achieve specific milestones to ensure they progress towards full time employment, education, training or accessing other employment support.
Some elements we will assist with include:
- benefits requirements (including signing up for Universal Jobmatch)
- letters of disclosure
- Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
- registration with health professionals
- opening bank accounts
- progression into volunteering or work experience
- opportunities to achieve recognised vocational qualifications such as CSCS card
Our Steps service is support offered to participants who have multiple barriers to employment or are long term unemployed.
Barriers (other than being long term unemployed) can include:
- having criminal convictions
- mental health issues
- Looked after young person
- From employment deprived areas
- Living in a jobless household
- Armed forces veteran
- Low income employed
- Substance related conditions
This list is not exhaustive and a call to your local Apex team can give more details on qualifying criteria.
Referrals are not restricted to a particular source for this service, and can include self-referrals, as long as participants are facing two of the noted barriers. Please telephone or email your local Apex office for more information.
This service is available in the following areas:
Borders, Buckie High School, Dumfries, Dunfermline High School, Edinburgh, Edinburgh (head office), Fife, Forth Valley, Glasgow, Grampian, Levenmouth Academy, Lochgelly High School, Renfrewshire, Scotland-wide, Stranraer, Tayside, West Dunbartonshire